privilege



it has been a privilege
to love you.

i sat in that truck bed and curved my spine against the metal.
when you know
you just know.

he tapped his hard knuckles against my heart and murmured
keep this soft.

she threw her brown arms around my neck and breathed
i'm going to love him even if he never loves back.

their bones creaked and their doors broke and they echoed
come rest here and be still.

and in the thunder, when the Face of the Almighty passed, i heard it whispered
oh.
oh, yes.
perfect love casts out fear
because in you
there will not be room for anything else.

and you.
i see you walking back up the road, where nobody else is going,
and i'm sorry.
because i burned some bridges, and tore up some crosswalks,
and flattened a highway
to say goodbye.

i had to.

i think maybe that's the wreck we're picking our way across,
trying to get back to the start.

but my dearest, this is not a goodbye. 
i'm going to let them in, and tell them to take off their shoes, and if they want to, i'll let them stay forever.
because i'm not too scared
to love again.
it's what He would do.

you'll be there too.
because you're mine.
and that's that.

and it has been a privilege
to love you.

amen.

x




Comments

  1. This was beautiful, Addy. Your poems are always so inspiring and this was certainly no exception. I love the whole aura of the piece and oh goodness those photos are stunning. <3 <3
    xx

    Sophy of sophyslighthouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know quite what to say, but this is soul-stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow honestly I resonate with this so much thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST WANT TO CRY NOW.

    I love the way you paint the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ummm. okay. somehow I can relate to this and that is crazy. you are amazing, jesus has given you such an amazing talent <3
    plus I would love it if you would check out my new blog...you inspire me to continue to really try and write things that make people feel. so thank you for that <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

be kind.

xx

Popular Posts